Capacity market transition
Understanding the capacity market
On November 23, 2016 the Government of Alberta (GoA) announced its endorsement of the AESO’s recommendation to transition from an energy market to a new framework that includes an energy market and a capacity market.Learn more about the benefits of a capacity market
The AESO is responsible for designing and implementing the capacity market. This process is expected to take three years and a capacity market is anticipated to be in place by 2021. The AESO recommended a capacity market for the following reasons:
- Ensures reliability as Alberta’s electricity system evolves
- Increases stability of prices
- Provides greater revenue certainty for generators
- Maintains competitive market forces and drives innovation and cost discipline
- Supports policy direction and is adaptable for the future
To learn more about our stakeholder engagement activities, click here.
Our first course, Capacity Market 101, will help you understand the basics of the market, and will help you determine the different topics you might need to focus on in the future. To take the course, click here.