Participate in the REP
Interested in participating in the Renewable Electricity Program? See below for key details and information.
About the first competition
- Will procure up to 400 MW of renewable electricity capacity
- Must be operational in 2019
- Applicable to new or expanded projects in Alberta (click here for eligibility requirements of “new” and “expanded” projects)
- Must be equal to or greater than 5 MW
- Must meet the Natural Resources Canada definition of renewable energy
- Must utilize the existing transmission and/or distribution system
- An Indexed Renewable Energy Credit will be used
Anticipated timeline for the first competition
- REOI Stage: Late March 2017
- RFQ Stage: Late April 2017
- RFP Stage: Mid-September 2017
- Successful proponent(s) selected: December 2017
Key details of the RFQ and RFP
The AESO believes it is important for stakeholders to have an early understanding of key features specific to the Request for Qualifications (RFQ) and Request for Proposals (RFP) stages for the first competition.
- Bidders must pay a non-refundable qualification fee to participate
- Bidders must describe their project teams
- Bidders must demonstrate their qualifications in three categories:
- Project eligibility
- Financial strength and capacity
- Technical capability
Financial strength & capacity
- Does the bidder have sufficient net worth relative to the proposed project size?
- Can the bidder confirm that no current or reasonably foreseeable event could have a material adverse impact on the bidder’s current financial standing?
- Can a financial sponsor or guarantor provide confirmation of willingness to support the bidder?
- Can the bidder provide confirmation of the equity contribution and description of how the bidder intends to secure it in order to construct the project?
- Has the bidder been involved in recent projects of similar size and/or complexity?
- Does the bidder have experience in each stage of project development (e.g. siting, stakeholder consultation, land acquisition), construction and operation?
- Has the bidder provided a narrative description of its relevant experience?
- Bid security must be provided with submissions
- Bidders must confirm their project teams have not changed
- Bidders must demonstrate no material adverse impact on financial standing has occurred since the RFQ stage
- Bidders must submit a final binding offer (i.e. bid price)
- Winning bidders will be selected based on lowest price