REP Round 2
REP Round 2 is an important first step toward meeting the government’s commitment to encourage greater participation by Indigenous communities in Alberta’s broader electricity sector and the development of renewable electricity. This round has been developed to encourage the greatest participation by Indigenous communities, create the greatest degree of competition and provide the lowest cost for Albertans. Where possible, the AESO has extended timeframes to provide more time for participants to develop partnerships and meet competition requirements.
REP Round 2 projects will be evaluated for their ability to connect to the existing transmission or distribution system prior to assessing Round 3 projects.
Key features of REP Round 2
- Procurement target is up to 300 MW
- Eligible projects are limited to new or expanded renewable electricity generation projects located in Alberta
- Projects must be able to connect to the existing distribution or transmission system
- Projects must be greater than or equal to 5 MW in size
- Projects must achieve commercial operation by June 30, 2021
- Eligible fuels must meet Alberta’s definition of renewable energy resources as defined in the Renewable Electricity Act
- Projects require a minimum 25 per cent Indigenous equity ownership that must be maintained for a minimum of three years following commercial operation of the facility.
- Eligible Indigenous communities must be located in the Province of Alberta and meet the Government of Alberta’s definition as one or a combination of the following:
- First Nation communities, Metis Settlements, Metis Nation of Alberta, and the Aseniwuche Winewak Nation;
- 100 per cent Indigenous community-owned organization and/or business
- All proposals for renewable energy projects participating in REP Round 2 must be in compliance with the terms and conditions of any previous Government of Alberta funding
Request for Proposals for REP Round 2
The Request for Proposals (RFP) for REP Round 2 is now open. Qualified proponents have been invited to submit a proposal prior to October 23, 2018 through the AESO’s competition platform, Bonfirehub.
The RFP document for Round 2 is available only to qualified proponents on Bonfirehub. A copy of the RFP will be posted on this page once the competition is complete.
Request for Qualifications for REP Round 2
The Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for REP Round 2 is now closed. All qualification submissions have been evaluated and qualified respondents have been notified.
The Round 2 RFQ was overseen by an independent, third-party Fairness Advisor to ensure it was administered in a fair and transparent manner. To read the Fairness Attestation letter for Round 2, click here.
The RFQ document and draft Renewable Electricity Support Agreement (RESA) for Round 2 are provided below for reference. The RFQ document has not been updated since it was posted April 27 and may differ from the final document available to registered bidders on the AESO’s competition platform, Bonfirehub.
Request for Expressions of Interest in REP Round 2
The Request for Expressions of Interest (REOI) for REP Round 2 is now closed. See below to view the REOI documents and list of parties who submitted an Expression of Interest Form.
- REP Round 2 Request for Expressions of Interest
- REP Round 2 Expression of Interest Form
- REP Round 2 Interested Parties
To view a list of parties who submitted an Expression of Interest Form for REP Round 1, please click here. To view a list of proponents who submitted bid prices during the RFP stage of REP Round 1, click here.
REP Round 2 RESA Key Provisions
REP Round 2 is intended to select a party, or parties, to enter into Renewable Electricity Support Agreements (RESAs) to develop, finance, build, own, operate and maintain projects which produce electricity from renewable energy resources. A RESA will govern the development and operation of each successful project and will establish the terms and conditions of support payments in exchange for renewable attributes.
REP Round 2 REOI update
The AESO thanks interested parties who attended the REP Round 2 information session on April 17, 2018. We have made every effort to address questions received at the information session and any additional questions submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by the REOI closing date of April 20, 2018 in an updated REP Rounds 2 & 3 FAQ.
RFP submissions for Round 2 are due October 23, 2018.