REP Round 2
REP Round 2 is an important first step toward meeting the government’s commitment to encourage greater participation by Indigenous communities in Alberta’s broader electricity sector and the development of renewable electricity. This round has been developed to encourage the greatest participation by Indigenous communities, create the greatest degree of competition and provide the lowest cost for Albertans. Where possible, the AESO has extended timeframes to provide more time for participants to develop partnerships and meet competition requirements.
REP Round 2 projects will be evaluated for their ability to connect to the existing transmission or distribution system prior to assessing Round 3 projects.
Key features of REP Round 2
- Procurement target is up to 300 MW
- Eligible projects are limited to new or expanded renewable electricity generation projects located in Alberta
- Projects must be able to connect to the existing distribution or transmission system
- Projects must be greater than 5 MW in size
- Projects must achieve commercial operation by June 30, 2021
- Eligible fuels must meet Alberta’s definition of renewable energy resources as defined in the Renewable Electricity Act
- Projects require a minimum 25 per cent Indigenous equity ownership that must be maintained for a minimum of three years following commercial operation of the facility.
- Eligible Indigenous communities must be located in the Province of Alberta and meet the Government of Alberta’s definition as one or a combination of the following:
- First Nation communities, Metis Settlements, Metis Nation of Alberta, and the Aseniwuche Winewak Nation;
- 100 per cent Indigenous community-owned organization and/or business
- All proposals for renewable energy projects participating in REP Round 2 must be in compliance with the terms and conditions of any previous Government of Alberta funding
Request for Expressions of Interest in REP Round 2
Interested parties are encouraged to review the document below and submit an Expression of Interest Form by 3:30 p.m. Mountain Daylight Time (MDT) on April 20, 2018.
To view a list of parties who submitted an Expression of Interest Form for REP Round 1, please click here. To view a list of proponents who submitted bid prices during the RFP stage of REP Round 1, click here.
REP Round 2 RESA Key Provisions
REP Round 2 is intended to select a party, or parties, to enter into Renewable Electricity Support Agreements (RESAs) to develop, finance, build, own, operate and maintain projects which produce electricity from renewable energy resources. A RESA will govern the development and operation of each successful project and will establish the terms and conditions of support payments in exchange for renewable attributes.
REP Round 2 REOI update
The AESO thanks interested parties who attended the REP Round 2 information session on April 17, 2018. We will make every effort to address questions received at the information session and any additional questions submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org by 3:30 p.m. MST on April 20, 2018 in an updated REP Rounds 2 & 3 FAQ prior to the RFQ opening on April 27, 2018. A notice will be posted on REP news and updates when the updated document is available.
The AESO will open the RFQ for REP Round 2 on April 27, 2018. Copies of the RFQ and draft RESA will be posted on this page for those interested in viewing the competition documents.
Registration is now open for the AESO’s new procurement platform, Bonfirehub. Parties wishing to participate in the RFQ for REP Round 2 must register for a Bonfirehub user account. The AESO has prepared a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) document to explain the registration process. Please see the REP FAQ page for more information.