Market Power Mitigation
On July 25, 2019, the Government of Alberta tasked the AESO to provide advice to the government regarding market power and market power mitigation by Nov. 29, 2019.
We value the stakeholder input received on this topic which helped inform our final advice to the Minister of Energy, submitted Nov. 29, 2019.
On April 23, 2020, the government announced the Minister has accepted our advice that the current market power mitigation framework embedded in the energy and operating reserves market is expected to remain efficient and effective. We concluded that no policy changes are required at this time and if future changes are needed they can be made within the current legislative and regulatory structure. Further detail is available in our Market Power Mitigation Advice to Minister report.
The feedback received from stakeholders and the Market Surveillance Administrator generally aligned with this conclusion, and identified only limited concerns with market power and the current market power mitigation framework. A summary of all input received from stakeholders is available here.
Stakeholders were supportive of publishing comments received, in their original state, and you will find those individual stakeholder comments below.
Stakeholder Comments on Request for Input on Market Power Mitigation
Stakeholders were supportive of publishing stakeholder comments received, in their original state with personal or commercially sensitive information redacted. [Posted: Nov. 5, 2019]
- Alberta Direct Connect Consumer Association (ADC)
- Canadian Wind Energy Association (CanWEA)
- Capital Power
- Cogeneration Working Group (CWG)
- EDF Renewables Development Inc. (EDF)
- Greengate Power Corporation
- Heartland Generation Ltd.
- Independent Power Producers Society of Alberta (IPPSA)
- Industrial Power Consumers Association of Alberta (IPCAA)
- Market Surveillance Administrator (MSA)
- Maxim Power Corporation
- Signalta Resources Limited
- Suncor Energy Inc.
- TransAlta Corporation
- TransCanada Energy Ltd. (TCE)
- URICA Energy
- VIDYA Knowledge Systems Corporation
- Stakeholder Comments Summary [Posted Nov. 5, 2019]
- IPPSA letter [Posted Oct. 25, 2019]
- Stakeholder invitation letter [Posted Oct. 8, 2019]
- Stakeholder comment matrix [Posted Oct. 8, 2019]