The Alberta Utilities Commission (AUC) issued Decision 27145-D01-2022 on Feb. 17, 2022 approving proposed amended Section 502.9 effective Mar. 1, 2022.
An application for approval of proposed amended Section 502.9 was submitted on Feb. 1, 2022 to the AUC. For information regarding the application, or on the status of the proceeding, you may visit the AUC’s eFiling site and go to proceeding #27145.
In the Letter of Notice for Development the AESO states Section 502.9 contains an outdated reference to the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers Standard C37.118 – 2005 Synchrophasors for Power Systems (“IEEE Standard C37.118-2005”).
The amendments to Section 502.9 are intended to ensure the legal owners of generating units, legal owners of aggregated generating facilities and legal owners of transmission facilities implementing synchrophasor measurement units in Alberta are aligned with the technical requirements in the most current version of the IEEE Standard C37.118.
Proposed Amendment | Nov. 9, 2021
In the Letter of Notice of Draft Proposed Amendment the AESO is providing notice and seeking feedback from Stakeholders on the draft proposed amended Section 502.9.
Request for feedback
Pursuant to Alberta Utilities Commission Rule 017, Procedures and Process for Development of ISO Rules and Filing of ISO Rules with the Alberta Utilities Commission, written comments received from the Stakeholders in response to the Alberta Electric System Operator’s (“AESO”) November 9, 2021 Letter of Notice regarding the proposed amendment to Section 502.9 have been posted on the AESO website.
Thank you to all Stakeholders who participated in this ISO rules comment process. All written comments received will be considered in the AESO’s finalization of the proposed amendment to Section 502.9 and responses to those comments have been posted on the AESO website.
Proposed Amendment materials
- Clean Final Proposed Amended Section 502.9 [Posted: Jan. 25, 2022]
- Blackline Final Proposed Amended Section 502.9 [Posted: Jan. 25, 2022]
- AESO Responses to Stakeholder Comments [Posted: Jan. 25, 2022]
- Stakeholder Comments [Posted Dec. 3, 2021]
- Comment Matrix [Posted: Nov. 9, 2021]
- Clean Draft Proposed Amended Section 502.9 [Posted: Nov. 9, 2021]
- Blackline Draft Proposed Amended Section 502.9 [Posted: Nov. 9, 2021
- Letter of Notice of Draft Proposed Amendment [Posted: Nov. 9, 2021]
Notice for Development | July 13, 2020
Letter of Notice for Development of the following:
- Proposed Amendments to Section 502.9 of the ISO rules, Synchrophasor Measurement Unit Technical Requirements (“Section 502.9”)
Thank you to all Stakeholders who participated in this ISO rules comment process. All written comments received will be considered in the AESO's development of the proposed amended Section 502.9 and can be found in the materials section below.
Notice for Development materials