Wind power forecasting
As a renewable energy source, wind generation will play a bigger role in our future. Currently, it makes up nine per cent of Alberta's generation capacity. We're working with the government, wind generation developers, and stakeholders to bring even more wind-generated power to the grid.
We present both a near-term (12-hour ahead) and a longer-term (seven-day ahead) aggregate wind power forecast in both graphical (PDF) and numeric (CSV) formats. Forecasts are available as soon as reasonably possible after we receive them from our wind power forecaster.
We’re committed to working collaboratively with wind power developers, the wind forecasting standing workgroup, and interested stakeholders to continually improve the accuracy and value of our wind power forecast.
The wind power forecast uses near real-time meteorological data to indicate the amount available to the Alberta grid in the near-term. It displays data on a 12-hour ahead basis in hourly intervals and is updated every 10 minutes. It is based on the currently installed capacity listed on our Current Supply and Demand page.
Seven-day ahead wind power forecast
Our wind power forecast uses global weather data to indicate the amount that will be available to the Alberta grid on a seven-day ahead basis, and is updated every six hours. It’s based on current installed wind capacity listed on our Current Supply and Demand page.
Monthly wind power forecast vs. actual comparison report
This report illustrates how the six-day (144 hour) ahead wind power forecast supplied by Weather & Energy Prognoses correlates with actual wind production.
- November 2018[Posted: December 3, 2018]
- December 2018[Posted: January 8, 2019]
- October 2018[Posted: November 7, 2018]
- September 2018[Posted: October 4, 2018]
- August 2018[Posted: September 5, 2018]
- July 2018[Posted: September 5, 2018]
- June 2018[Posted: July 18, 2018]
- May 2018[Posted: June 18, 2018]
- April 2018[Posted: May 14, 2018]
- March 2018[Posted: May 14, 2018]
- February 2018[Posted: March 5, 2018]
- January 2018[Posted: February 13, 2018]
- October 2017[Posted: November 6, 2017]
- November 2017[Posted: December 6, 2017]
- December 2017[Posted: January 15, 2018]
- September 2017[Posted: October 10, 2017]
- August 2017[Posted: September 11, 2017]
- July 2017[Posted: August 9, 2017]
- June 2017[Posted: July 4, 2017]
- May 2017[Posted: June 13, 2017]
- April 2017[Posted: June 13, 2017]
- March 2017[Posted: April 5, 2017]
- February 2017[Posted: March 16, 2017]
- January 2017[Posted: March 16, 2017]