Energy Trading System (ETS)
The Energy Trading System (ETS) is used to participate in the wholesale energy market. Market participants use ETS to enter energy supply offers and demand bids. The system also includes metering data, settlement and billing.
Participants are required to apply for and receive a digital certificate to gain access to the confidential information residing on the ETS. A digital certificate assures that the website you access is the secure AESO ETS. It also allows the ETS to recognize authorized system users and allow access to appropriate information. Application form must be sent in by an authorized corporate contact.
For security integrity, certificates require renewal on or before the anniversary date of the installation. DigiCert PKI Client will automatically notify you 5 days prior to the annual renewal date.
We encourage market participants to review the following documents as it will help familiarize themselves with digital certificates and ETS. These materials are also a great reference source to come back to anytime you have questions.
- Applying for a Digital Certificate[Posted: October 28, 2022]
- Energy Trading System (ETS) Digital Certificate Enrollment Guide [Posted: October 28, 2022]
- ETS User Access Request[Posted: April 13, 2023]
- Importing Digital Certificates[Posted: October 28, 2022]
- Exporting Digital Certificates[Posted: October 28, 2022]
- Troubleshooting Guide[Posted: October 28, 2022]
- ETS Root Security Certificate[Posted: February 26, 2019]
ETS training environment
The ETS training environment gives new and existing pool participants the opportunity to practice transactions in a sandboxed environment.
To access the ETS training environment, you need an ETS training digital certificate. Digital certificates cost $100 plus GST per certificate, per year. This cost will appear on your monthly pool statement.
Energy Trading System (ETS) training environment user access request form
To request access to the ETS, email the application form above to email@example.com.
- Submissions[Posted: March 29, 2021]
- Ancillary services restatements and substitutions[Posted: March 24, 2022]
- Import/export submissions[Posted: December 9, 2022]
- Net settlement instructions participant manual[Posted: March 17, 2021]
File upload examples and templates
Download templates and examples to help you submit or restate an energy offer, submit or restate dispatch down service, operating reserves, or report an upcoming outage.
Energy submission, restatement and historical offer control
Dispatch Down Service (DDS) submission
Operating Reserves submission
Outage scheduling & load outage report forms
- Outage scheduling file upload format[Posted: August 22, 2011]
- Outage scheduling file upload example[Posted: August 22, 2011]
- Load outage report form - XLS[Posted: October 2, 2009]
- Load outage report form - PDF[Posted: August 31, 2009]
Helpful tips: using acknowledgements for file upload
Participants may use acknowledgements that they receive when restating through the ETS user-interface to perform a restatement file upload. Log in to the ETS and follow the steps below:
1. Submission -> Energy Submission
a. Select Restatement
b. Edit Existing
c. Today’s date
2. Result tab select an asset for restatement
3. Data Entry tab click ‘Submit’ button
4. An acknowledgement window pops up
5. Save the acknowledgement in a file (.txt or CSV)