Renewable Electricity Program
The Renewable Electricity Program (REP) is intended to encourage the development of 5,000 MW of renewable electricity generation capacity connected to the Alberta grid between now and 2030. The AESO is responsible for implementing and administering the program through a series of competitions that will incent the development of renewable electricity generation through the purchase of renewable attributes.
The results of REP Round 1 were announced Dec. 13, 2017. For details, click here.
About the competitive process
Each competition for the REP may include up to three stages and is anticipated to run for approximately 7-11 months. The stages include a Request for Expressions of Interest (REOI), a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) and a Request for Proposals (RFP). All stages of the process will be overseen by a Fairness Advisor, an objective third-party observer engaged to monitor and report on how the process has been conducted from a fairness perspective.
- Attracts and gauges the level of interest
- Assists potential bidders in determining whether to participate in the competition
- Provides a formal opportunity for the AESO to seek further clarification or feedback from industry
4 - 6 weeks
No obligation on interested parties to participate in the next stage, the RFQ
- Informs RFQ bidders of eligibility requirements
- Qualifies bidders to provide a bid price during the RFP stage
4 – 6 months
- Bidders submit their qualifications including project proposals and descriptions of the composition of their project teams
- Bidders pay a non-refundable “Pay to Play”/qualification fee
- In the RFQ submissions, bidders must demonstrate qualifications in the following three categories:
- Project eligibility
- Financial strength and capacity
- Development, Construction and Operations Capability
- AESO determines the qualified bidders to advance to the RFP stage – only qualified bidders will proceed to the RFP stage
Determines the bidders who will be entitled to receive support payments in exchange for Renewable Attributes generated in relation to the project
2 - 3 months
- Only qualified RFQ bidders may participate in the RFP stage
- Each bidder provides a refundable bid security
- Bidders qualified in the RFQ stage confirm no changes have occurred to their bid teams or their proposed projects since their RFQ submissions
- Bidders submit a final binding offer for support (i.e. bid price)
- Successful bidders are provided the opportunity to enter into a Renewable Electricity Support Agreement (RESA)
The AESO is committed to a transparent stakeholder engagement process. We intend to engage with stakeholders on an ongoing basis regarding certain aspects of future competitions.