Long-term Transmission Plan
We publish our proposed transmission development plans every two years in the AESO Long-term Transmission Plan. It explains the general timing and location of transmission facilities required for the next 20 years to meet electricity needs, operate the electricity market, and support Alberta’s economic development.
Our transmission plans are flexible, allowing for potential generation developments and changes in the provincial economy. They are guided by Alberta’s Electric Utilities Act and Transmission Regulation.
2017 Long-term Transmission Plan
The 2017 Long-term Transmission Plan identifies current and future transmission needs for a range of possible demand and generation conditions, and sets out flexible plans to respond to them.
Download our 2017 Long-term Transmission Plan and related documents here:
- AESO 2017 Long-term Transmission Plan [Posted: January 30, 2018]
- AESO 2017 Telecommunication Long-term Plan [Posted: January 30, 2018]
- Single Line Diagrams (SLDs) [Posted: January 30, 2018]
- Alberta Gas Supply and Infrastructure Analysis [Posted: January 30, 2018]
- 2017 LTP Stakeholder Information Session Presentation [Posted: February 7, 2018]
Transmission Capability Assessment for Renewables Integration
In February 2019, we published an Addendum to the 2018 Transmission Capability Assessment for Renewables Integration (2018 Assessment). The Addendum provides an update on where transmission system capability is available in central east and southern Alberta, subsequent to the December 2018 announcement of the results of Rounds 2 and 3 of the Renewable Electricity Program (REP).
The complementary Optimal Integration Capability map has also been updated to reflect the information in the Addendum. This interactive tool helps users to identify potential project locations based on proximity to the nearest transmission infrastructure.
Download the Addendum to the 2018 Assessment and explore the interactive map. For more information about the Addendum, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Addendum to the 2018 Transmission Capability Assessment for Renewables Integration [Posted: February 5, 2019].
- Optimal Integration Capability Interactive Map [Updated: February 5, 2019].
- 2018 Transmission Capability Assessment for Renewables Integration [Posted: June 27, 2018].
2015 Long-term Transmission Plan
Download our 2015 Long-term Transmission Plan here: