Long-term Transmission Plan
We publish our proposed transmission development plans every two years in the AESO Long-term Transmission Plan. It explains the general timing and location of transmission facilities required for the next 20 years to meet electricity needs, operate the electricity market, and support Alberta’s economic development.
Our transmission plans are flexible, allowing for potential generation developments and changes in the provincial economy. They are guided by Alberta’s Electric Utilities Act and Transmission Regulation.
2017 Long-term Transmission Plan
The 2017 Long-term Transmission Plan identifies current and future transmission needs for a range of possible demand and generation conditions, and sets out flexible plans to respond to them.
Download our 2017 Long-term Transmission Plan and related documents here:
- AESO 2017 Long-term Transmission Plan [Posted: January 30, 2018]
- AESO 2017 Telecommunication Long-term Plan [Posted: January 30, 2018]
- Single Line Diagrams (SLDs) [Posted: January 30, 2018]
- Alberta Gas Supply and Infrastructure Analysis [Posted: January 30, 2018]
- 2017 LTP Stakeholder Information Session Presentation [Posted: February 7, 2018]
Assessments: Transmission Capability for Renewables Integration
The 2019 Transmission Capability Assessment for Renewables Integration (2019 Assessment) was published in April 2019. The 2019 Assessment includes results from Rounds 2 and 3 of the Renewable Electricity Program, captures the impacts of proposed system projects, leverages 2017 Long-term Plan results, and includes sensitivity studies to evaluate the impacts of Distributed Energy Resources and the Red Deer 240 kV and 138 kV-system integration.
The complementary Optimal Integration Capability map has also been updated to reflect the information in the 2019 Assessment. This interactive tool helps users to identify potential project locations based on proximity to the nearest transmission infrastructure.
Download the 2019 Assessment and explore the interactive map. For more information about the AESO’s Transmission Capability Assessments for Renewables Integration, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2019 Transmission Capability Assessment for Renewables Integration [Posted: April 18, 2019].
- Optimal Integration Capability Interactive Map [Updated: April 18, 2019].
- Addendum to the 2018 Transmission Capability Assessment for Renewables Integration [Posted: February 5, 2019].
- 2018 Transmission Capability Assessment for Renewables Integration [Posted: June 27, 2018].
2015 Long-term Transmission Plan
Download our 2015 Long-term Transmission Plan here: