About the program
In January 2016 the Government of Alberta directed the AESO to develop and implement a program to bring on new renewable generation capacity. Through the Renewable Electricity Program (REP), 30 per cent of generation in Alberta will come from renewable sources by 2030.
The AESO provided recommendations regarding the REP to the Government of Alberta in May 2016. Recommendations were based on research and engagement activities between January and April 2016, including a third-party review of renewable procurement programs in other jurisdictions.
- To view the REP Recommendations please click here.
Following the success of REP Round 1 in 2017, the Government of Alberta directed the AESO to open REP Rounds 2 and 3 with separate Requests for Expressions of Interest.
About the competitive process
Each competition for the REP may include up to three stages and is anticipated to run for approximately 7-11 months. The stages include a Request for Expressions of Interest (REOI), a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) and a Request for Proposals (RFP). All stages of the process will be overseen by a Fairness Advisor, an objective third-party observer engaged to monitor and report on how the process has been conducted from a fairness perspective.
- Attracts and gauges the level of interest
- Assists potential bidders in determining whether to participate in the competition
4 - 6 weeks
No obligation on interested parties to participate in the next stage, the RFQ
- Informs RFQ bidders of eligibility requirements
- Qualifies bidders to provide a bid price during the RFP stage
4 – 6 months
- Bidders submit their qualifications including project proposals and descriptions of the composition of their project teams
- Bidders pay a non-refundable qualification fee
- In the RFQ submissions, bidders must demonstrate qualifications in the following three categories:
- Project eligibility
- Financial strength and capacity
- Development, Construction and Operations Capability
- The AESO determines the qualified bidders to advance to the RFP stage – only qualified bidders will proceed to the RFP stage
Determines the bidders who will be entitled to receive support payments in exchange for renewable attributes generated in relation to the project
2 - 3 months
- Only qualified RFQ bidders may participate in the RFP stage
- Each bidder provides a refundable bid security
- Bidders may be required to demonstrate further qualifications
- Bidders submit a final binding offer for support (i.e., bid price)
- Successful bidders are provided the opportunity to enter into a Renewable Electricity Support Agreement (RESA)
About an Indexed REC
The first three competitions utilized an Indexed Renewable Energy Credit (REC) or “Contract for Difference.” This payment mechanism was a key contributor to the success of REP Rounds 1, 2 and 3.
A REC is a way of paying renewable generators who win contracts through REP for the attributes they produce. A winning bidder is paid a $/MWh payment as follows:
- The winning bidder bids a price that is, in essence, its lowest acceptable cost for the renewable project the bidder plans to advance. The competition puts downward pressure on the cost of renewable projects.
- The dollar value of support paid to the winning bidder for renewable attributes produced is calculated by subtracting the pool price from the bid price.
- It allows companies to competitively bid for the all-in price they need to develop a project. From the all-in price we subtract the pool price and the difference is how much is paid in support.
Government of Alberta direction
- REP program development direction letter, dated Jan. 26, 2016
- REP Rounds 2 and 3 direction letter, dated Feb. 2, 2018
- REP evaluation direction letter, dated October 5, 2018
Government of Alberta resources
- Alberta Climate Leadership Plan
- Alberta Energy
- Alberta Environment and Parks
- Wildlife Land Use Guidelines
- Wildlife Directive for Alberta Wind Energy Projects dated Jan. 27, 2017
- Alberta Agriculture and Forestr
- Alberta Indigenous Relations
- First Nations Finance Authority