REP Rounds 2 and 3
On February 5, 2018 the Government of Alberta announced REP Rounds 2 and 3. REP Rounds 2 and 3 will run in parallel, and will build upon on the key features that were essential to the success of Round 1. To view the government's direction to the AESO, please click here.
REP Round 2 will have a procurement target of 300 MW and will include an Indigenous equity ownership requirement. REP Round 3 will have a procurement target of 400 MW. The following key aspects will apply to both competitions:
- eligible projects are limited to new or expanded renewable electricity generation projects located in Alberta;
- able to connect to the existing distribution or transmission systems;
- greater than 5 MW;
- eligible fuels must meet Alberta’s definition of renewable energy resources as defined in the Renewable Electricity Act; and
- the payment mechanism must be compatible with Alberta’s evolving power market construct.
AESO will provide competition proposals on REP Rounds 2 and 3 to the Minister of Energy at the end of February 2018. Once approved, we will publish specific dates and further details for each competition.
For the purposes of Round 2, the Government of Alberta has defined Indigenous as one of the following:
- First Nation communities, Metis Settlements, Metis Nation of Alberta, and the
- Aseniwuche Winewak Nation; or
- Indigenous-community owned organization and/or business.